Wednesday, July 17, 2013

The Slacker Race

A few months ago Laura contacted me to say she and Grace were running a half-marathon in Colorado called The Slacker Race.  There was also a 4 mile race that she thought Alisha and I could run if we wanted to join them.  Of course, we wanted to join them so we left Idaho on June 20th and drove to Orem where we stayed the night and then picked up Grace the next morning and drove to Frisco, CO.  We kidnapped Marley (with Haini and Kristi's permission) and took her with us.
We had Haini's iPod with us as well as Gracies.  Mine was lost back in Orem, or so we thought (another amazing story). So with good music we had a ripping ride to Colorado.
We stopped in Price for lunch and then moved quickly down the road. 
 
 
Somewhere an hour or so short of the border we got news that Dan had fallen but GOOD neighbors had helped him out and Seth and Ali were going up to stay with him for the weekend.
THANK YOU ALL!!
Anyway, we met up with Mark, Laura and the kids at a really nice hotel for the night.  They had arranged for us to have a 3 double bed room which worked out really great for the 4 of us.


 
It wasn't long and we were tucked away for the night
 

 
Laura made us all "Slacker" jackets to wear to the race. Alisha wears her's almost everyday when she runs.
 




After a few stretches and warm ups we were ready to head to Georgetown where the race was being held.


 We registered, got our bibs and tried to contain our excitment before the race.  I think I heard there was something like 2500 runners there that morning.


 


It was a little chilly and we were glad to have our new "Slacker" jackets to wear.  Alisha and I took one bus to the 4 mile point and Grace and Laura took another bus to the half-marathon start.

While we were off running through the mountains, Mark was entertaining four kids!  Looks like they had fun, too.

 
When I came through town near the end of the 4 miles they were at the park and I got to give them a high-5 on my way by.
 And then on to the finish line.
 
Alisha came crossed the finish line next.
 
And then we waited for the half-marathon runners. 
Laura came next but I didn't get a picture of her crossing.  She stopped and picked up Annie and carried her across the line.
We were a little more ready when Gracie came through so here's a shot of her.
She actually picked up Annie and ran across the finish line, too.  Lucky Annie, she finished twice that day.
 
I think we were all pretty excited to have done it so there was another round of pictures.


 
We all did very well that day but another race began when we got in our cars and headed home.  We were anxious to get home to Dan so we drove straight through and managed to get here around 5:00 AM Sunday morning.  I think a couple of miracles kept us on the right side of the road from Provo home.  I had a terribly hard time staying awake and even when I'd pull off for a bit, it was hard to last long before the next pull off.
 
A couple of weeks later I got a small package in the mail and was very surprised to receive a medal from the race.  I guess I placed 3rd for women in my age bracket.  Gracie said my time was 47 minutes. 



A fun day with my girls, good memories and a medal to boot.  Can't beat that!

2 comments:

James and Elizabeth said...

Better sign me up for next years sister run. I can't wait.

Unknown said...

Way to go ladies!! Looking fabulous;)