Sunday, July 28, 2013

The Birdhouse that Became a Birdhouse

When Elizabeth was still living at home with us (I think it was her senior year of HS) when she bought me a birdhouse for Mother's Day. 
 
 I loved it so much that we planted in it the front yard in the flower bed there. 
It seemed the perfect place for it. 
 
I've enjoyed looking at it while working in the flower bed for several years now, but never have I enjoyed it as much as this year.
One morning while weeding a little, I heard a sweet baby bird chirping, "Feed me.  Feed me.  I'm hungry."  I was afraid it had fallen out of the apricot tree near by so I began searching for it when I realized the sound wasn't coming from the ground but rather from up higher. 
Finally, I found the source of it inside my much loved birdhouse from Elizabeth.
The mama bird who was never far away had built a nest INSIDE the birdhouse. 

 
 And a sweet baby bird was inside crying to be fed.
Can you see the little yellow beak?
I never got a better picture of him than this one but I heard him singing out every morning for another week or so.  I tried to call Gwenevere and Grace to let them listen to the baby bird, but they were on a camping trip and by the time they'd gotten back the baby was out of the nest and on his own.
 
I hope the mama with visit us again next year ~ now that she knows where the birdhouse is.

3 comments:

James and Elizabeth said...

Awe that birdhouse brings back good memories.

Sandy said...

And baby birds!

Dan Thomas said...

She will she knows where a good home is.