Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Our Red-Leaf Maple


A few years back we planted a Red-Leaf Maple in the front yard because that was the tree Dan wanted there. It was for his birthday and he got to pick his own tree. I was especially glad that he picked the Red-Leaf because I LOVE it in the fall. And since it's fall - I LOVE it.

I took several pictures of it as it slowly changed it's leaves from green to red and I loved watching it glitter in the sun light.



Yesterday I spent some time cleaning up the front yard flower beds. Here are before and after pictures.


From the after pictures it doesn't look like I did much work, but I did. I'm sure there will be more to do when all the leaves have fallen. I'm thinking of using them for ground cover on the flower beds this winter. I may regret it in the spring but we'll see. Until then we'll enjoy the colors.
While I was working I kept getting softly hit by falling leaves and I remembered when we lived in Drain. I used to love to walk down past the pool, through the trees and over the bridge to the library. I would swear I'd never seen such BIG leaves as were there in the fall. So, I would pick up one or two and wish I could send them to someone I loved so they could see the beautiful leaves, too. Yesterday, I actually relived that experience and picked up a few leaves to send to my grandchildren. I even put them aside and while putting away my tools I tried to think of a way to send them so they wouldn't get smashed to pieces. But when I got back to them, there were only two leaves left on the chair. They probably wouldn't make it in the mail, anyway. So,grandchildren - that's you;
Karly, Spence, Noah, Preston, Taylor, Sitani, Marley, Elijah, Mika, Ember, Maren, Jace, Anabelle, and Gwenevere ~ This one's for you!! I LOVE YOU!!! Grandma

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I loved that walk in Drain too. I love big Leaves and Gwenevere just loves leaves.

Dan Thomas said...

I have a big left in my journal. It came from Portland one of the many times I has in the hospital there. (I got outside just long enough to get one.)